Tuesday 30 September 2014

Old El Paso Stand 'N' Stuff Soft Taco Kit


So tonight we went Mexican and tried out Old El Paso's new Stand 'N' Stuff Taco Kits. I really wanted to try the BBQ one, but unfortunately that was out of stock at Tesco, so we brought the 'Garlic and Paprika' kit.
It's really easy to make, you get 8 tacos, the seasoning and salsa. All you have to add is the mince meat, tomato, lettuce and cheese.
Gary decided he wanted to add onion to it to give a bit more flavour and I suppose there's loads more you can add like peppers, mushrooms, etc.




So first of all you cook off the meat (and any veg you're adding in), then drain the water out. Gary recommends you do do that, as we left it in thinking it would add to the flavour but it just ended up being very messy.
So, once drained, add the seasoning and 150ml of water and let it simmer for 10 minutes while stirring occasionally.
Warm up the tacos in the microwave for about 30 seconds and then pile it all in. They do recommend not filling them up too much which I would have to agree on, they will be filling half full and a lot easier to eat. Everything starts falling out as you try and eat otherwise, still tasty though!




And the finished product



Now, I can be quite fussy with food and I don't really like minced beef so I made my own special tacos. I like to have bacon, hashbrown and cheese wraps so I thought I'd try it in a taco.


I cooked bacon rashers, hashbrowns and mushrooms in a frying pan, you can add whatever other veg you like, but as I said, I'm quite fussy and I like my favourites.

I warmed up the tacos again, filled them up with the cooked goods and cheese. Added some sour cream, cheese and sweet BBQ sauce on top and all done.

Unfortunately there wasn't much left of my BBQ sauce (I like waiting for it to be on offer) so there wasn't as much as I'd like but it still tasted good.








The finished product

So all in all a quick, easy and tasty product. Not as good as proper Mexican food but it's good enough.

I've got an idea for some tasty nachos from a Mexican restaurant I visited in Playa del Carmen so keep your eyes peeled for that soon!

Let me know what you think of these tacos if you've tried them and if you've made any variations, would be lovely so see your ideas.

1 comment:

  1. Wow looks yummy, you will have to make us some :)

    Chloe @ www.bethbear.co.uk

    ReplyDelete